Invite some friends over for a healthy and satisfying dinner with this low-carb spaghetti squash recipe. Compared to pasta, spaghetti squash has less than ¼ the calories and is packed with a range of nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory fatty acids. Ingredients: (Serves 6-9)
- 1 large spaghetti squash (4 ½ pounds), halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh watercress, stems trimmed
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Spiced Pecans (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place the squash, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, until tender. Let the squash cool until it is easy to handle, and then scrape out the strands of pulp. You should have about 4 cups; set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the squash strands and parsley, and toss to combine. Add the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- To serve, toss the watercress with the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, remaining 4 teaspoons oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash mixture among individual plates or place in a serving dish. Top with the watercress, Gorgonzola, and Spiced Pecans.
- 1 cup egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 cups pecan halves
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Stir in the pecans, mixing until well moistened.
- Combine the salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the moistened nuts. Spread the nuts on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Be careful not to burn the nuts. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
As originally published in Dr. Perricone’s Forever Young Metabolic Diet