Impress your friends and family this holiday season with a healthy spin on this classic comfort food, cauliflower gratin. Cauliflower boasts multiple health benefits, including anti-inflammatory compounds, heart-healthy antioxidants, and an abundance of vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids, making it a healthier substitute over traditional potato gratin. Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Butter, for the baking dish
- 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into large florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Muenster cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a baking dish that is just large enough to hold the cauliflower in a single layer.
- Bring water to a simmer in the bottom of a vegetable steamer. Place the cauliflower in the steamer basket, cover, and steam until fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and onion, and sauté until the pancetta is crisp and the onion is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon the pancetta mixture over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the pepper. Top with the cheese slices, covering the surface evenly. Bake until the edges are bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
As originally published in Dr. Perricone’s Forever Young Metabolic Diet