Many of my patients ask me my opinion of the 'detox' obsession that seems to be sweeping the country.
Some experts call it a waste of time and money with no true benefits, while others preach it with evangelical zeal. My point of view falls somewhere in the middle. If we follow the anti-inflammatory diet, our organ systems will function at optimum levels. We won’t retain excess water, have bags under our eyes, suffer from a pasty, pallid complexion, feel sluggish and fatigued and all the other symptoms that result from a diet filled with pro-inflammatory foods. Advocates of detox talk about clear and glowing skin, and a return to the health and fitness we experience as children. There is no question that abstaining from pro-inflammatory foods (a key element of detox) offers great physical and mental benefits.
As you will discover in this series, a great way to accelerate the ridding of the body of excess weight and inflammatory compounds is to incorporate the green foods, such as Green Magma’s young barley grass.
Here are some other suggestions that will also help the body to increase energy and restore skin to youthful radiance and optimal brain function.
• Regular exercise will increase circulation to the face, thus promoting a glowing complexion.
• Avoid smoking, which restricts the blood flow to the skin and can cause sallowness and dullness – as well as premature wrinkles, deep lines (especially on the upper lip), and loss of suppleness.
• Green tea is a great anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory beverage, and along with pure spring water will help the body flush out toxins and stay hydrated, supple, and healthy.
• Don’t go “fat – free” which will make your skin dry and dull. Choose healthy fats such as extra virgin olive oil for radiance and glowing skin.
• Get enough sleep! Nothing is worse for your complexion than sleep deprivation—which will also cause you to crave sugary, starchy food
• Limit alcohol consumption to small amounts of red wine.
• Drink plenty of pure, non-carbonated spring water throughout the day (6 to 8 glasses). You will enjoy an extra benefit if you add a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Lemon is rich in bioflavonoids and vitamin C (anti-inflammatory anti-oxidants), and acts as a natural diuretic to help the body shed excess water.
• Lemon is also a natural detoxifying agent, and many experts also believe detoxifying the body helps eliminate the lumpy and bumpy appearance of cellulite.
Coming Soon: Dr. Perricone‘s Detox Series Part 2 – Detoxifying Your Pantry